An Apron for Sis

My sister in law, Leslie is getting married next month.  (Actually in just a few weeks!!)  I had to miss her bridal shower, but this is one of the things I gave her.  The theme for the bridal shower was cute.  Her maid of honor included a recipe card in the invitations for us to provide Leslie with one of our favorite recipes for her kitchen.  We were asked to bring the relevant utensil(s) to go with the recipe as a gift from her registry.  I gave her my sugar cookie recipe, a rolling pin, and made her this apron.  A little background info…

She went to Auburn and all of her kitchen “stuff” is going to be orange and blue.  (NOT to be confused with orange and blue for UVA.)  I would NOT have been okay with that.  GO HOKIES!!

Anyway…that’s why I went with orange and blue for her apron.  Here’s how I made it:

I actually got the measurements for my pieces from an apron I already had.  I didn’t write down my measurements, but here’s a similar tutorial.

These are my pieces all laid out how I wanted the apron to look.

DSC00905

Gotta start with the pockets.  I wanted trim on the top of the pockets.  So, first I hemmed the edges of the trim.

DSC00906

Then folded it in half right sides in and stitched the sides leaving a pocket.

DSC00907

Clipped the edges.

DSC00908

And flipped it right side out.

DSC00909

For the actual pocket, I folded the piece in half right sides in, hemmed the sides and clipped the edges.

DSC00910

After I flipped it right side out, I slid the trim over the unfinished edge like a hat and stitched it on right over the seam I already had.

DSC00911

See?

DSC00912

Repeated with the second pocked and pinned them to where I wanted them on the front of the apron.  Then I sewed them on.

DSC00913

After they were attached, I did pretty much the same thing with the skirt of the apron.  I folded it in half right sides facing in, stitched the sides and clipped the edges…

DSC00914

…then turned right side out and attached the bottom trim.

DSC00916

For the bib of the apron, I folded it in half right sides in and stitched the sides, clipped the edges…(you know the drill…)

DSC00917

I wanted “side trim” on the bib that were also the neck ties.  So I hemmed the short ends of it, then just ironed a hem, folded it in half, and ironed it again.

DSC00918

I folded it over the sides of the bib, then ran a stitch through it to attach.

Same for the other side and I got this.

To attach the belt, I hemmed the short ends, then laid out the pieces right sides facing like this.

DSC00926

Stitched it.

DSC00927

Flipped the belt part up and ironed it.

DSC00928

Then attached the bib to the belt right sides facing and ran a stitch. **Note: I realized after that this was kind of an unnecessary step because…

DSC00929

…I had to run a stitch across the whole belt anyway to attach the front and back.

DSC00930

The waist ties I folded and ironed like this…

DSC00933 DSC00934

Stitched it.

DSC00935

Then slid the raw edge side in between the two layers of the belt.

DSC00936

And stitched.  I could have probably done a little better job with this.  Because it was homemade, there are going to be some spots that look homemade. And I’m okay with that.

DSC00937

Here’s Sis in her new Auburn apron posing with her Auburn ribbon wreath.

733302130_2615907351_0

LOVE HER!  Can’t wait for her wedding!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s